Vehicle Registration Process Explained for New Cars in 2024. Documents for ID and Address Proof as accepted with RTO Forms required for Registration
Now, no need to pay any Bribe or any additional sum. RTO has clearly defined document checklist required for Vehicle registration, here is the Process Simplified for Registration of New Car on Self Basis without any assistance of broker :-
Ensure that you collect the documents from the car dealer at best before taking the car delivery, it will save you time and further follow ups :-
1. Invoice: You need to Procure and Submit both
If you going to do Self Registration - ensure to ask your Dealer for both Invoice Copies pre hand
2. Sale Certificate (RTO Form 21): Effectively RTO Form 21 is what called Sale Certificate. As per RTO, a sale certificate is mandatory to be submitted. This effectively contain details of Vehicle including Model Details, Year and Month of Manufacturing, Invoice Amount. If you are wondering whether dealer billing you old car, ask for Form 21 copy as will have all details including Manufacturing month of car too.
Ask your Car Dealer for providing same before taking in Delivery of Car
3. Road Worthiness Certificate (RTO Form 22): Effectively RTO Form 22 depicts that vehicle sold is in compliance with Safety, Road Worthiness and Pollution Certificate. You need to obtain it in Original from your car dealer if you going for Self Registration. Else, you may even ask a photo-copy of it for your records
Yes - your Car do not need any PUC Check for 1 year from Date of Registration
4. Copy of Insurance : If the dealer doing Car Insurance then Insurance Policy with Matching Engine Number, Chassis number, Name, Address, Model Details as per Invoice needs to be obtained from Car Dealer. Else, if you doing Online or from some agency then you anyway will have it and a copy of same needs to be submitted
5. Adding Loan HP (RTO Form 34) : Form 34 (optional for adding loan hypothecation, if vehicle is bought on Finance) to be additionally filled and submitted. Form 34 requires stamp and sign of Banker. A Dealer can assist you in same, wherein registration would be done by you
6. Vehicle Registration Form (RTO Form 20): Effectively, RTO Form 20 is what used for Vehicle Registration. This needs to be Filled and Submitted to RTO along with
Do note that if you going for Self Registration then Dealer will do Temporary Registration which will be valid for 30 days, Temporary Registration needs to be applied in
Additional Documents in case of Car Bought in one State and registered in Other State
» IGST (Inter State GST) Bill if your State is different from Original State. Remember GST should not be Paid as CGST, rather IGST Paid Invoice needed. This is very Essential with your address and State Clearly Mentioned
For More Information on RTO forms and RTO Charges, refer
- Vehicle Registration Forms - Download copy of all registration forms
- Vehicle Registration Fees - Know the Registration Slabs in all major cities of India
Documents in form of PAN and Valid ID & Address Proof required for Vehicle Registration and Road Tax Payment.
While ID Proof is generally been taken from PAN Card - which is a Mandatory Document in RTO Offices in India, been Sale Transaction is more than Rs 50,000. Below are List of documents accepted as Valid ID and Address Proof for registration Purpose.
|ID Proof as accepted in RTO
|Valid Address Proof for Vehicle Registration
|PAN Card (Its Mandatory Document)
|Utility Bill - Electricity / Water etc
|UID Aadhaar Card - for both ID & Add Proof
|Election Card - for both ID & Add
|Passport Copy - Passport should not be expired
|Passport - for both ID & Add - should not be expired
|UID Aadhaar Card Copy
|State Government ID Proof
|Nationalized Bank A/c Statement with 6 month Banking
|Driving License (only as ID Proof)
|Ration Card Copy with Name mentioned in Ration Card
|LIC Policy Certificate with Policy Vintage of atleast 6 month
|Property Registry Papers
|Landline Telephone Bill from Government Owned BSNL / MTNL etc
|For Rent - Registered Rent Agreement + Police NOC + Landlord Utility Bill + NOC from Landord - accepted in select RTO Offices
|Address Proof Confirmation from Employer - if Employer is PSU / Government Undertaking / State Government Organization
a) Driving License is no more considered a document for Address Proof
b) PAN Card is now a Mandatory Document for Registration. Form 60/61 declaration is now not accepted.
c) Some RTO Offices - to curb false registration - now demand for 2 different set of address proof to be submitted by applicant.
d) An OTP is generated on registered Mobile Number as given for Registration and same needs to be punched in system for Car Registration.
Cities:- Delhi (Rent Agreement not accepted in New Delhi), Gurgaon, Noida, Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kerala, Kolkata, Ludhiana,Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Thane, Vashi etc.
Do Note: In Case of Utility Bill Submitted or Registry Papers - where address is mentioned in name of Father / Mother - applicant has to furnish relationship proof document. For example - if Electricity Bill is in name of Mother, and son buying a car - then appropriate relationship proof document is required to be submitted in RTO.
Disclaimer:- Above is Tentative List of Documents and are generally been accepted by Most of RTO Offices as ID & Address Proof. However - exact requirement and validity can well be known from respective local RTO where one is registering a vehicle.
I have booked a new vehicle. What are the documents I should ask to dealer before taking my car delivery.
I booked kia seltos in navi mumbai as I am psu employee I opted for BH Registration i have following documents as a address proof a letter from employer,gasbook,rc book 2 wheeler,bank ID card,itr return file
Can dealer go ahead with these documents as address proof?
Please guide sir
Can I register my new car in any RTO in Delhi. My home and dealer location is near to the DL8 RTO (Wazirpur) but if I want my car to be registered in DL2 (Tilak Marg), is it possible?
I received my car (Kia Sonet) the first week of june 2021, the car was booked in dec. however its been over 2 weeks and i have not got my number plate nor the tax challan from the RTO. The dealer says RTO mumbai is working very slow. What should i do ?
I live in Mumbai. Due to lesser waiting period in Mumbai, I am planning to buy a car from Ahmedabad showroom and get it registered in Mumbai.
.. Can this be registered in Mumbai without much of hassle?
.. Is there additional cost apart from usual RTO charges?
.. Will I face any issue in future because of purchase of car in different state?
I have purchase one Tata Nexon in the month of April'21.
But due to lockdown in Maharatra unable to get the vehicle on time.
Now dealer ask for additional amount as RTO fine . As RTO done in current month, all paper of vehicle like insurace , form-20,21,22, fastag, everything is in same date of may'21, but as vehicle billed in April Invoice date is 13th April on Dealer Tax Invoice.
Really i dont understand that if, there was a lockdown then why they (RTO) charge fine and collect from customer????
Hi, I bought a new Kia Sonet from Bangalore and needed some clarification.
1. I did not received the original govt challan for Rod tax paid but the Dealer gave me a computer printed challan only without seal and signatures, is it okey ?
2. The finance person asked for 2k as franc king/stamp paper charges for vehicle sale agreement, is it mandatory?
Please let me know if anyone can help, thanks!
Bhai ye sab document hote hue bhi ek bike lene ke liye dealer log 3 hazaar charge karte hain. Kyuki RTO ko under table dena hi padta hai. Aisa experience kiya hai maine
i am planning to buy a car in UP-Aligarh where as all my ID's are from Bihar but i own a flat in Aligarh in my name.
But the dealer is insisting to have a ID (ADHAR) with Aligarh address only or registration will be a problem.
i want a buy a car from Uttar pradesh and and register with uttar pradesh. but after 5 year I settled in Delhi, my registration is valid for Delhi ? pl confirm rules if vehicle ride in other state for permanent.
Hi my name is Pranjesh from Nagpur Maharashtra. My car dealer is cjarging Rs 6600 for registration, number plate smart card and HP endorsment. I think he is charging too much. What should I do.
We're planning to buy a car in ghaziabad and we live here in a rented apartment. So, do we need to pay any registration fees if we're staying on rent? If yes, how much?
We have only adress proof for car registration as follows.adhaar card copy,passbook of bank,private health insurance certificate,allotment letter+Renata agreement+police verification but no elec. bill in the name of owner,what is valid in this documents in rato Gujarat.
We purchase new car in AHMEDABAD for my son who is working at Mumbai.Now address proof required for vehicle registration is only adhaar card of son but dealer denied than provide rent agreement,police verification OK but in light bill name is mismatch.voter card is old address.we have only passbook copy address,allotment letter of owner name due to redevelopment bldg.private insurance policy for address proof available.what to do for registration in rato Gujarat.pls.guide for document issue as soon as possible.
sir i have purchase tata indica t parmit car in 2017 . i have to convert t parmit car to privet car but my car fitness certificate & parmit was expire in this year . than what we do
I am buying a new car getting it financed . Both financier and dealer had made me sign form 34 . Sign in both the forms are different will it make a difference?