Date: December 26, 2013
Are you looking to buy or sell Used Car. Know RC Transfer Process with Documents and Fee Charges
Before Buying or Selling Used Car, its imperative to know how ownership transfer happens with documents, transfer charges with Process note from both buyer and seller perspective.
» Original RC Copy Book needs to be submitted. If RC Book has HP to any Bank / Financier, then NOC along with RTO Form Number 35 is required to be submitted. Note: Generally NOC is Valid for 60 days from date of issuance.
» RTO Form Number 29, 30 are considered Sale Transfer Forms. This needs to be signed by both Seller and Buyer with 2 Copies required
» Vehicle Chassis Number Imprint
» Notarized Copy of Insurance, PUC Certificate, ID & Address Proof of both Buyer and Seller (Seller Address Proof on RC should match as with Present Address else an affidavit is required)
» Notarized Copies of PAN Card of Buyer or Form 60,61
Download: RTO Forms
» Generally the Seller is not required to be present in Person in RTO Office for transfer of vehicle. However, where the Signatures mismatch or case seems doubtful to RTO Officer - in those cases only the Seller is also called to be present in RTO Office with ID Proof along with Buyer for Verification Purpose, to avoid any fraudulent / stolen / ID theft Transfer.
» In Terms of Time Taken for Used Car RC Transfer - If Transfer Forms and Documents are submitted - it does not take more than 2 weeks to get Transferred RC from RTO
» As matter of caution, the seller can submit Form TCR within 2 Weeks which is a transfer intimation to RTO Office after sale of vehicle along with Copy of ID & Address Proof of Buyer
» Standalone Rent Agreement, Credit Card Statement, Private Bank Statement, Appointment Letter of Private Company - are not considered address proof for effecting transfer in name of buyer
Additionally :- NOC Clearance Certificate from first RTO where vehicle was initially registered. This however is a simple format application signed by RTO Officer of the original RTO . For eg :- Noida car getting re-registered with Ghaziabad number. (Not Applicable in All States / UTs)
* - Valid Address proof is the address proof as per prescribed documents of RTO - viz electricity bill/ nationalized bank a/c statement / election card / water bill / gas connection etc
Sometimes Buyer belongs to one state and seller to other, in this case Transfer Process goes on like. Other than the Documents mentioned above in case of same city transfer, additional documents are :-
- Clearance Certificate required to be Issued from Original RTO where car was Initially Registered. This is done only after NOC Certificate is issued by Traffic Police as no dues against Traffic Violation and NOC from Deputy Commissioner of Police for No Criminal Case of Accident on the Vehicle. (Note:- RTO Officer or Police - may also ask to show vehicle)
- A Copy of Clearance Certificate from RTO and NOC From Police needs to be retained - which needs to be submitted to the New RTO Office.
- Form 27 and Form 28 for No Objection Certificate of Inter State Transfer of Vehicle
- Form 20 for Re Registration of Vehicle
- Vehicle Fitness Certificate issues by RTO Inspector
- Valid Notarized ID & Address Proof of New Owner
- Insurance Cover Note or Policy with Engine Number & Chasis Number
- Applicable Re-Registration Fees, based on Depreciated Value as per Ageing Value of Car carried as per respective RTO Officer
- In some States, Only BS-IV / Euro IV vehicles are getting registered in inter state due to latest emission norms (one need to check with local RTO office for same)
However, if you yourself is migrating to another city (say from Delhi to Mumbai), due to transferrable job or for some other reason and you intend to keep vehicle with you - but want to re-register in new state. Know Realted Forum Topics: RC Transfer Process from Delhi to Mumbai ,RC Transfer from Delhi to Kolkatta
Important Documents to Check Before Buying Used Car
The Registration Certificate is like Ownership Proof and is must required to be submitted while Selling Car transferring car Inter State or in Same State. Its the most important document
« Check Owner Name, Address and Owner Serial Number of the Car. Does Name & Address matches with ID Proof and Address Proof of Seller
« Match the Engine Number and Chassis Number with the Latest Insurance Policy. Ensure that Insurance should be Valid on Date of Transfer. Expired Insurance Policy will not effect transfer
« Check Hypothecation in RC. If the car is HP to any Bank, do demand for NOC prior to sale. If Loan is Active - do insist for Foreclosure Charge Statement as on date and have this recorded in sale agreement with the seller
« If Car Fitted with CNG Kit, ensured its endorsed in both RC and Insurance
There are no Road Tax or Re-Registration Charges to be paid in case of Transfer within same State. Only Required are :-
« Transfer Charges - which is like Endorsement for issuance of New RC in buyer name. Official transfer charges are Rs. 250 in most of the RTO Office
« Bank HP Deletion (if Hypothecation on RC) - Rs. 110
« New RC Smart Card Issuance - For issuance of New Smart Card, Charges are around Rs. 400 - 450
Process Note Valid in :- Above Process Note is almost Valid in all Cities, States or Union Territory of India. From Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat, Karnataka, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Orissa, Rajasthan, New Delhi, Chandigarh, Kerala etc.
Connect with Author on:- Google