Welcome to Mycarhelpline Community Blog

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Login
    Login Login form

Vehicle Registration Process : New Car RTO Registration Guide

Posted by on in RTO Registration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 57666

Know the Vehicle Registration Process for New Cars in India. RTO Process and Guide with Forms, Documents Checklist with RTO Charges and Fees in India


New Car Registration Process

Do you feel that your car dealer or broker is charging you extra sum for registration of your new car or for smart card.

As long as the document checklist is known, its not at all difficult to get the registration done, Know the Process for doing Registration of New Car without any assistance of broker :-


Documents to be Submitted for Car Registration

Ensure that you collect the documents from the car dealer at best before taking the car delivery, it will save you time and further follow ups :-

- Invoice: You need to Procure and Submit both Retail Invoice and Manufacturer Invoice of Car (which is mandatory for self registration at time of delivery of car)

- Sale Certificate: As per RTO, a sale certificate is mandatory to be submitted, RTO Form 21 needs to be submitted by dealer. In case, dealer do not do so you can also get it downloaded from our RTO Form Section of Mycarhelpline

- Pollution Certificate: Form 22 depicts Pollution Certificate and is required to be obtained and to be submitted to RTO confirming that the vehicle sold is in compliance with Safety, Road Worthiness and Pollution Certificate

- Copy of Insurance Cover Note : A copy of Insurance cover note (if issued by dealer or issued by agent) also needs to be submitted in RTO

- Adding Loan HP : Form 34 (optional for adding loan hypothecation, if vehicle was financed) to be additionally filled and submitted. Form 34 requires stamp and sign of Banker. A Dealer can assist you in same, wherein registration would be done by you

- Copy of Temporary Registration (which dealer has done before releasing the car. Normally temporary registration is valid for 30 days)

- Form 20 for Car Registration need to be submitted 

- Chasis Imprint: Have a copy of Chassis Imprint done of the car (through pencil)

- ID & Address Proof: Self Attested Valid ID along with PAN Card and Address Proof. A Valid ID Proof Document should be one as per prescribed list of RTO (Copy of Election Card, Passport, Aadhaar UID Card are best documents as they contain both ID and address else)


Additional Documents in case of Car Bought in one State and registered in Other State

» Sales Tax Clearance Certificate (of the VAT Paid)

» NOC from Selling Dealer and RTO Office that Sale is Genuine and never ever been registered - Its more a confirmation which is been asked by RTO and not required in all RTO Offices. So may check


For More Information on RTO forms and RTO Charges, refer

- Vehicle Registration Forms - Download copy of all registration forms

- Vehicle Registration Fees - Know the Registration Slabs in all major cities of India

Last modified on
Rate this blog entry:

Gagan is CEO of Modi Online Ventures. Completed MBA from one among Top 10 Management Institute, he has worked for 8 yrs in Corporate Sector - Maruti Suzuki, ICICI Bank. Having passion for Automobiles and Entreprenurship - ventured into Business in April 2011. At MyCarHelpline - you can get in thousands of reviews, latest information updates on Automobiles with Personalised assistance through Forum.


  • Guest
    vikram Saturday, 03 September 2016

    Hello sir, i had bought renault kwid through naval group insurance fund, while doing temporary registration,it was wrongly entered that under hypothecation with ngif. However ngif loan document states that endorsement of hypothecation not to be made in insurance papers,but only in insurance papers. But RTO and its clerk are not doing the necessary correction even after document is shown to them. They are telling if hypothecation is there in insurance papers ,it has to be in registration papers too.
    What shall i do now
    Shall i put RTI against them,and report to high officials,
    Lt cdr vikram

  • Guest
    shivakumara Monday, 29 August 2016

    Hi Gagan,
    I am buying Baleno from Noida, where i am basically from Karnataka and all my ID proof is from Karnataka itself. I am staying in a rented house in Noida.
    Now for the registration of the car the showroom people are asking for the Owners Pan card copy and electricity bill, where has our owner is staying out side India ( Australia) and they are refusing to give the pan card copy and for the electricity bill it is prepaid (since we are staying in a apartment) for which they have not received the bill for it.
    So kindly guide us how to proceed further since i am struck up very badly from both the end.


  • Guest
    Natesh Mani Tuesday, 16 August 2016

    Dear Mr.Gagan

    I am in the process of buying a new car, can I register the car in Panvel, since I have a house there and it is cheaper to register there, although I am living in Mumbai now. I have only the property papers and light bill as proof of residence. All other documents such as pan-card, aadhar card, passport etc are in my Mumbai residence address.

  • Guest
    Parth Saturday, 13 August 2016

    I am living in a rent house. and I want to do passing on that rent house add.
    so what are the documents are required.
    and any extra charges for that rent house passing.?

  • Guest
    Umesh Chaudhary Wednesday, 10 August 2016

    Dear Sir

    I have buy New Swift Dzier private car in delhi, and i got regisrtation receipt from Delhi transportation Autority, and the orignal RC will be received in next 20 days as on registaration Receipt, and they said this Registartion Receipt is valid for 90 days, as my question is can i take my car to other state with this receipt is valdi for other state, like agar, haridwar, noida, gaziyabad other

  • Guest
    Mediamax Wednesday, 10 August 2016

    Can i buy a new car from pune and drive it in mumbai. The cost of buying car is cheaper in pune.

  • Guest
    Arya Kumar Friday, 22 July 2016

    Sir I'm buying Maruti suzuki Baleno Zeta Petrol delivery of which is in a week. Ex show room price quoted by dealer is Rs. 640335/- and Panvel RTO in Maharashtra is registration authority.Please help me in total tax calculation.
    Also I have provided them my SBI passbook with stamped photo & address and my company ID which is a respected Oil & Gas public sector company address proof and PAN card as identity proof. will it be accepted as valid documents?
    Can I opt not to take insurance from dealer and get it online?

  • Guest
    Raj kaushik Sunday, 10 July 2016

    I want to purchase a second hand car.
    When i checked this registeration through vahan delhi sms, the status is showing "blacklisted- can not be disposed before 3 years"
    What does it means?
    Please help

  • Guest
    Pritam Tuesday, 31 May 2016

    Dear Gagan,

    I am buying a car from Aurangabad, however the registration will be done in Navi Mumbai. My question is, in Aurangabad there is no LBT, however, during the registration process, do I have to pay the LBT? as the car will be registered in Navi Mumbai. Or else, is it benificial to register the vehicle in Aurangabad itself, which will save at least 25000 :)

  • Gagan Modi
    Gagan Modi Tuesday, 31 May 2016

    Hello Pritam,

    Though LBT is applicable on sale of car, but RTO can ask for LBT Tax receipt if registration is done in a zone, where LBT is applicable
    It would rather be worth to get car registered within Aurangabad

  • Guest
    pankaj Tuesday, 24 May 2016

    I m defence personnel. I hv purchased car through csd nd dealer of ahmedabad. I took temp reg. I wanna register car frm agra. The rto agra want full fees % according to invoice 2hich includes ex showroom price +vat. My question is tht neither i hv paid vat nor dealer. Invoice contained both as dealer told tht he wud firstly pay vat bt further get refund as i m in defence so i m exempted. So why the agra rto calculating reg charges according to invoice rather thn ex showroom pfice n hw i wud get exemption or refund if i pay reg charges including vat.plz help

  • Gagan Modi
    Gagan Modi Wednesday, 25 May 2016

    Hello Pankaj,

    In general cases, road tax is payable on ex-showroom price and does not consider any discounts
    But in CSD - as VAT is exempted to an extent - unsure whether the tax payable would be on ex-showroom price or Price payable which is excluding VAT.

    Though logically as VAT was not payable / exempted - then road tax would be applicable on the invoice price.
    Would suggest to check with any counter-parts - as we really do not have written/documented information on it.

  • Guest
    veera Tuesday, 03 May 2016

    Hi Gagan ,

    I bought Wagon R from Shivam autozone, kandivili west in June 2015 , When we came know after 9 months that the vehicle was invoiced on me in the month of March 2015 , but i have not paid any amount till May/ june 2015 as i my loan was sanctioned only in June 2015.
    When we came to know this, the Sales manager and Sales rep said that it is the standard process , but i am not able to buy this explanation as it has hurt my integrity and my sentiments as this is my first car and also has a feeling that i have been cheated . Also, I feel they have give me a damaged car or used car which is haunting me while i drive the car. Also , i am surprised how they can hold inventory for 2 months which was invoiced in March 2015.

    After i booked my car by paying advance if Rs 5000.00 , i had changed my mind and wanted to go for bigger car - Ertiga they told me that they have sent the information to company and will loose heavy amount up to Rs 10000.00 on the very next day if i cancel the booking . Yesterday the Sales manager said that it is only Rs 250 for cancellation of the booking .

    Can you please help me understand the process and help me with future course of action and how can i approach Marut Suzuki company ,so that people like me will not be in dark by Such dealers .

    Looking forward to your inputs on the above .

    Thanks and regards

  • Guest
    Himanshu yadav Monday, 04 April 2016

    Sir i need a help..
    I worked for 3 months in an office which deals with the vehicle registration or the new vehicles..
    I learnt or the process that how all the document comes from showroom to our office. After the online registration and fee submit.. after that how the files goes in the RTO office and the RC are generated .
    Bt my boss pay me less so i leaved the job..
    How i want to know if i want to start the work by my own the how i start it.. what should b my first step for this..
    Plzz help....

  • Guest
    Rahul soni Friday, 01 April 2016

    Hello sir
    Is there any penalty on dealers if they deliver a new vehicle without insurance policy.

  • Guest
    Pritam Sarkar Monday, 28 March 2016

    Hi, I'm from kolkata I have booked Scorpio .. The sales executive is saying us to take the car in t.c. number as there is lots of chaos going on due to the vote going on .. If I take the vehicle in Tc number .. Which documents I need to collect from showroom ?? Registration & insurance will it be transferred to new number ?? As I have fully paid for it .

  • Guest
    Ravi Saturday, 23 January 2016

    Hii ,

    Rto agent not submitted my document so after one year also I did not get my RC book.. Just because of agent was fraud now we got our document can you please tell how many charge we need to pay for registration now so we can get our registration book.

  • Guest
    Deeptarup Biswas Friday, 30 October 2015

    I AM IN AN URGENCY.. my car is just 2days old(purchased on 28-11-15). I have the purchase invoice from the dealer and the Insurer's Ecover note. I have showed the car to RTO. can I travel other state with these 2 documents as it is brand new car? I have proper driver license.

  • Guest
    Dev Saturday, 31 October 2015

    Hi, I bought car from Gurgaon and same day Drove to Mumbai . I had valid DL and Invoice copy + insurance and Temp number .

    There is no problem

  • Guest
    Deeptarup Saturday, 31 October 2015

    Hi Dev, can u plz elaborate what do u mean by, 'temp number' ?

Leave your comment

Important : Need Advise or Recommendation

Do No Post in Comment !! Rather Raise your Query in Forum Q&A Section in appropriate Category. Click Here to Go to Forum

One of Our Site Moderator will Assist on Same in Car Forum. Comments Seeking Advise / Suggestion will not be replied Back !!

Guest Sunday, 25 September 2016