New Car Pre Delivery Inspection Checklist. PDI and Checklist of Items to Check before taking Delivery of New Vehicle from Dealer Showroom in India
Pre Delivery Inspection Checklist
Buying a new car is considered an occasion of joy and prosperity. Its important to do Pre Delivery Inspection of Vehicle so as to not end up spoiling the entire mood post delivery of the vehicle.
Do note that today High Security Plates are mandatory to be affixed before delivery of new car in most of the cities. So, if the vehicle papers are sent for registration by dealer and a number plate is allotted, in most likely scenario - you will not be able to change the color or variant at time of delivery - leave aside changing the vehicle post delivery.
Below are key points :-
- Billing :- Ensure that you have sales contract copy with you at time of delivery. A Sales contract defines the vehicle make, body color, variant and pricing details with break up and discounts.. Its a proof of the undertaking of dealer to deliver car basis details of Make, Model and Prices mentioned
Never accept any rough estimate at time of making booking. Ensure to have proper sales contract (Sales contract is different from Proforma) and make payments in accordance to it. See that the Final Invoice is in accordance to the Sales Contract. An under-invoicing is a popular way of dealers to save taxes and accounts for black money. Ensure that whatever you pay for the car is mentioned in the Invoice
Dealer may hand you over separate receipts for amount paid for Registration, Road Tax and Insurance which is perfectly alright. Refer Details on - Important Tips before Making Car Booking
- Decoding Manufacturing Month, Year :- Its important to get a New Car - which is less than 3 month Old for potentially avoiding any cause or issue. You can easily decode in Manufacturing Month, Year of Car through its VIN Chassis number.
Know more:- Decode VIN Chassis
- Inspecting the Car :- We recommend that you always hold a part payment of 20% - 25% at time of delivery and hand it over only post inspection of car at showroom or workshop
Inspecting the car :-
- Always try to inspect the car in day light or areas with plenty of sun light so as to have clear view of vehicle from inside and outside.
- Inspect the car minutely from exteriors from both front, rear and sides - check paint should be uniform and free from any of the scratches.
- Also, see the Interiors - there should not be any kind of dirt and be clean. The Speed o meter should not be more than 50 Kms - as the stockyard is mostly within these limits across all dealers
- Check all spare parts including spare tyre, tool kit, floor mats, mud guards and any accessories been installed along with Owner Manual
- Ask Sales Personnel to give you a brief demo. Check all lights, indicators, horn, steering, start the Engine - should be working easily. Have your friend or family member to be outside when you checking lights
Documentation : Its important to check documentation at time of delivery to avoid any post delivery follow-ups with dealer
- Proper Invoice of Car with all payment Receipts. Ensure to collect Insurance copy before driving the car
- Ensure that Engine, Chassis number and Vehicle Model should be same Invoice, Insurance and Warranty books.... We have seen some instances where the Engine Number and Chassis Number were not matching on Insurance and Invoice and later on endorsement is required.
- Warranty Papers, Road Side Assistance Toll Free Number and Details
- Duplicate Keys and Owner Manual
- Dates and Validity of Warranty, Insurance should be correct
- Vehicle Registration Related Papers (if on Temporary or Self Registration)
- Last but not the least - do take photographs of car from all 4 sides... May be you never know, it can be of use in a future date.
Download One Pager Car Pre Delivery Checklist - Will come in handy at time of delivery. Click Here to Download
Read - Important Tips from Booking to New Car Delivery. Click Here for New Car Buying Tips
All the Best... Happy Motoring !!!